The Service Contract Act (SCA) and the regulations implementing SCA are some of the most challenging requirements for contractors and for contracting agencies involved in federal contracts for services. If you are competing for the award of a service contract, or performing a service contract and administering your responsibilities under SCA, this two-day course is critical to understanding SCA and ensuring fair competition and full compliance throughout performance of the awarded contract.
PSC’s updated and enhanced “2023 Service Contract Act Training” teaches the fundamental requirements of SCA as it affects preparation of proposals, wage determinations, classifications and conformances for missing classifications, staffing, pricing, out-year price adjustments, response to payroll audits and worker inquiries, administering SCA provisions as they apply to collective bargaining agreements, and numerous other issues on service contracting.
The course is designed to provide important information for all personnel in your company whose work may involve covered service workers. All of these persons must have relevant knowledge, work together, and communicate with each other in order to be successfully competitive, maintain compliance following award, and avoid unexpected payroll and benefit liabilities.
The SCA Training Program will include compliance assistance training on Executive Order 13706 - Establishing Paid Sick Leave for Federal Contractors. E.O. 13706 requires service contractors to allow their employees to accrue up to 7 days of sick leave per year. The paid sick leave requirement is in addition to a contractor's SCA obligations. The Paid Sick rule is applicable to most new SCA contracts awarded after 1/1/2017. Don't be caught off guard; prepare for the sick leave rules now!
November 7-8, 2023
Day 1: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. ET
Day 2: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. ET
NRECA Conference Center (4301 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA 22203)
Member Price: $945
Non-Member Price: $1095
Member Price: $850
Non-Member Price: $995
10% discount for 6 or more employees
Panel: Fringe Benefits
A panel of experts will review aspects and applications of employee fringe benefits. Panelists include:
- Bicknell Robbins, President, Government Contracting Practice, CBIZ
- Matt Corzine, President, GSA National
- Taylor Boon, CEO, Boon Group
Panel: Price Adjustments
A panel of experts will review the intricacies and policies related to contract price adjustments. Panelists include:
- Jennifer Flickinger, Partner, HKA Global
- Brad Tress, Senior Manager, Forvis
- Leslie Stout-Tabackman, Managing Director, Government Contracts, BDO
Highlights of PSC's SCA Course include:
- Instructors include experts with long careers in the service contracting industry, in Department of Labor enforcement programs, and legal experts specializing in SCA and related labor issues.
- Attendees participate in interactive exercises, worksheets, and question/answer sessions.
- The presentation will include one-hour panel discussions. Typically PSC invites representatives from the Department of Labor’s national office to discuss their procedures in administering and enforcing SCA (preparation of wage determinations, processing conformances, enforcement statistics, and any questions the attendees offer). PSC also invites procurement agency labor advisors from the Department of Defense, NASA, and other civilian agencies to discuss the agencies’ administration of labor standards on their contracts, including the processing of solicitation and options/extensions where decisions are necessary under SCA and related requirements.
- The current course includes discussion on relevant executive orders, regulatory changes (those that have occurred or may be pending), e.g., new contractor minimum wage requirement; changes to the exemption at 29 CFR Part 541 (salary); interaction with the Affordable Care Act; and the potential changes to the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime requirements.
- Attendees will receive extensive course materials, copies of the presentations, and contact information for post-course follow-up.
PSC maintains constant oversight on executive orders, changes to regulations or enforcement processes, and proposed legislation that would affect our industry. Join PSC and take advantage of this unique member benefit. Visit www.pscouncil.org for information on current issues, PSC’s advocacy on these issues, comments, and membership information.
Eric Crusius is an attorney with the law firm of Holland and Knight, Tysons, Virginia, where he represents government contractors in bid protests and labor-related litigation matters. He counsels clients on a broad range of government contract issues including the Service Contract Act and other labor issues.
Day 1: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Day 2: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The program begins with an overview of the McNamara-O'Hara Service Contract Act, its applicability, and how it relates to other labor laws. In addition to the basic provisions of SCA and related contract labor standards, the course will address employee classifications; collective bargaining agreements under SCA Sec. 4(c); payment of wages and benefits, hours worked; compliance procedures; contract proposals and contract price adjustments; challenging Department of Labor decisions; and communicating contract labor standards issues with federal procurement officials.
Attendees will also be offered up-to-date information on issues pertinent to the most significant cost factors in service contracting. The course also covers the effects of the Affordable Care Act on SCA covered contracts and examines the effects of the numerous EOs related to contractor labor policies that have been issued over the past several years.
This training has been approved for 14 HR (General) credits.
The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
WHAT PREVIOUS ATTENDEES HAD TO SAY ABOUT THE TRAINING
“Training was overall extremely helpful!” – Operations and Contracts Manager, Contemporaries, Inc.
“Great class and instructors.” – Project Management Analyst
“Throughout thee was a great balance between applicable regs vs. real life references!” – CALIBRE Systems
“I really enjoyed the scenarios and worksheets that allowed us to think on our own or with a team.” – HR Manager, Joint Technology Solution, Inc.
“Excellent training!” – Staff Counsel, WPS Health Solutions
“Instructors are very knowledgeable and gave plenty of time for questions on each section.” - HR Coordinator, Interior Systems Inc.
GROUP DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE
If 6 or more individuals from your company would like to attend, you will receive a 10% discount on your registration fee. Contact Jean Tarascio for further details.
HOW TO REGISTER
1. Sign In (Don’t have an account? Create an account)
2. Click "Register Myself" Button
3. Enter your Zip Code at the bottom of the registration page as requested and click "save response" (this step is required to complete registration)
4. Proceed to Checkout
5. Submit Order
No refunds 7 business days prior to training start date. Transfers to another individual or to a later session are permitted.